• Role requires an understanding and knowledge of radio communications.
• Must have a sound understanding of satellite communications equipment.• Tertiary quals in Telecommunications or a related discipline desirable but not mandatory.
Who we are
The Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) is part of the Commonwealth Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment. As primary agency for Australia's Antarctic Program (AAP), the AAD is responsible for achieving the Australian Government's Antarctic goals. These goals are to:
• maintain the Antarctic Treaty System and enhance Australia's influence within it
• protect the Antarctic environment
• understand the role of Antarctica in the global climate system
• undertake scientific work of practical, economic and national significance.
The AAD also has responsibility for administering the Australian Antarctic Territory and the Territory of Heard and McDonald Islands.
Antarctic Operations and Safety Branch plan, coordinate, facilitate and deliver operations for the Australian Antarctic Program by safely resupplying and sustaining the Antarctic Stations and building operational capacity to deliver future Antarctic projects.
The AAD ICT Section is made up of dedicated ICT specialists (covering all aspects of ICT required to maintain the Australian Antarctic Program) utilising satellite links, computing services and radio communications to effectively meet the information and communication needs of a modern program.
Key duties will include, but are not limited to:
• leading and managing the Station Telecommunications Team including performance agreements, resourcing, time recording, training, project and business as usual (BAU) work allocations
• mentoring team members to build capability across a range of ICT services for the Antarctic Program
• initiating or coordinating collaborative meetings with appropriate areas in the wider Information Services Division
• initiating ICT projects that support the Antarctic Program through the project funding process and providing advice on costings for activities in both projects and BAU
• assisting in the recruitment, procurement and contract management activities for their team
• maximising opportunities to improve processes and create efficiencies, contributing to the section direction and positively influencing the team in the delivery of outcomes
• working collaboratively to contribute to the development of training and advice as well as identifying and supporting capability development and process improvement
• leading and contributing to projects to support the achievement of strategic and operational objectives.
What we are looking for
Knowledge and experience
The successful applicant will have:
• highly-developed telecommunications knowledge with an awareness of the impact of technology on the business environment, particularly satellite links and radio communications
• an understanding of network switches and routers
• a sound understanding of satellite communications equipment
• an understanding and knowledge of radio communications, particularly the Australian requirements for airband communication with commercial aircraft
• experience as a technical lead on an ICT Team prioritising and managing workloads to achieve timely outcomes.
Eligibility and other requirements
Please note that the successful applicant will be required to travel to the Antarctic and sub-Antarctic regions therefore they will be expected to meet specific medical, adaptability and personal qualities requirements appropriate to working in those environments. They will need to:
• demonstrate the range of personal qualities and interpersonal skills necessary to perform as a successful team member within isolated Antarctic and sub-Antarctic environments
• demonstrate an ability to effectively adapt and respond to the demands of living and working in an isolated and confined environment as determined by a psychological (adaptability) assessment
• be certified as fit for Antarctic service by the AAD’s Polar Medicine Unit.
For additional information, please read the Job Description below.
Candidate Information Package docx Opens in new window
Candidate Information Package pdf Opens in new window
Job Description Opens in new window