School of Chemical Engineering
The School of Chemical Engineering is an international leader in the chemical engineering field and has an excellent reputation, built over 100 years at The University of Queensland.
Worldwide, UQ Chemical Engineering was ranked 38th in the QS World University Rankings 2020 for Chemical Engineering. Central to the School’s success are our staff, specifically the academic, research and professional staff. They are engaged in pioneering teaching and research crossing traditional disciplinary boundaries, mindful of their role in addressing the big challenges that lie ahead.
Catalysed by our move to a new home for Chemical Engineering at UQ in 2021, the soon to be completed eleven story, state-of-the-art Andrew N. Liveris Building, the School is entering an exciting growth and rejuvenation phase.
The School of Chemical Engineering is committed to supporting the career growth of women academics and have a number of initiatives to support women in developing and achieving a fulfilling career within the School.
About This Opportunity
We are currently seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic postdoctoral scientist to join a multi-disciplinary team of chemical engineers, metallurgists, and physical scientists – focused on developing advanced beneficiation processes for Australian coking coals.
Reporting to Dr Liguang Wang, the primary purpose of this position is to conduct research into the field of particle separation with sound waves or froth flotation and coal cleaning.
General duties and responsibilities also include, but are not limited to:
- Taking responsibility for equipment design, data analysis, manuscript preparation and research student supervision.
- Developing insights into the beneficiation of Australian coals.
- Actively participate in regular meetings to discuss project objectives, methodology and outcomes, and present progress reports at institutional, national and international forums.
- Publish scholarly papers in high quality outlets.
- Contribute to, or potentially lead, applications for related funding support, as required.
This position is located at our picturesque St Lucia campus, renowned as one of Australia’s most attractive university campuses, and located just 7km from Brisbane’s city centre. Bounded by the Brisbane River on three sides, and with outstanding public transport connections, our 114-hectare site provides a perfect work environment – you can enjoy the best of both worlds: a vibrant campus with the tradition of an established university.
Our Ideal Candidate
Alongside the completion of a PhD in physics, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, mineral processing, or a related discipline, we are seeking candidates with the following skills and experience:
- Demonstrated expert knowledge in the area of particle separation.
- Knowledge and experience of equipment design with sound waves.
- The ability to establish effective relationships and to build and broadly promote their research
- Track record of publication of research findings in peer reviewed journals and conferences and developing national recognition in the area of research.
- A high level of drive and enthusiasm, and the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across different disciplines and cultures.
For a full list of duties and selection criteria, please see the attached Position Description.
You must have unrestricted work rights in Australia for the duration of this appointment to apply. Visa sponsorship is not available for this appointment.
We value diversity and inclusion, and actively encourage applications from those who bring diversity to the University. Our Diversity and Inclusion webpage contains further information if you require additional support. Accessibility requirements and/or adjustments can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What We Can Offer
This is a full-time, fixed-term position for up to 12 months at Academic Research Level A, with the possibility of extension subject to continued research funding.
The full-time equivalent base salary will be in the range of $85,300 - $94,637, plus super of up to 17% (the total package will be in the range of $99,801 - $110,726).
For further information, please review The University of Queensland's Enterprise Bargaining Agreement 2018-2021.
For application queries, please contact email@example.com stating the job number in the subject line.
Want to Apply?
To submit an application for this role, use the apply button. All applicants must supply the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Statement addressing selection criteria (in the attached PD)
To satisfy pre-requisite questions and ensure your application can be considered in full, all candidates must apply via the UQJobs portal by the job closing deadline. Applications received via other channels including direct email will not be accepted.